On Design Day, the computer science capstone teams compete for four prestigious awards.
- Auto-Owners Exposition Award
- Chrysler Praxis Award
- TechSmith Screencast Award
- Urban Science Sigma Award
The schedule of presentations is given on the Computer Science and Engineering Schedule page.
CSE 498 capstone teams present their projects on Design Day in a variety of ways. Teams create and set up an exhibit where they demonstrate their software systems
and answer questions from Design Day attendees. Each team plays their project videos and answers questions for a panel of judges.
The CSE capstone team with the best overall Design Day performance is honored with the Auto-Owners Exposition Award, which is sponsored by Auto-Owners Insurance Company of Lansing, Michigan.
In-Content Preferences for Firefox
Presented by Scott Lake of Auto-Owners
One of the hallmarks of CSE 498 capstone projects is that of praxis, the process of putting theoretical knowledge into practice. Teams apply a wide variety of information technologies to produce solutions to complex problems in areas such as business, engineering, computing, and science.
The CSE capstone team that engineers the software system that is the most technically challenging is recognized with the Chrysler Praxis Award, which is sponsored by Chrysler LLC of Auburn Hills, Michigan.
Design, Fly and Compete Flight Simulator
Presented by Karen Wrobel of Chrysler
Each CSE 498 capstone team produces a video that describes and demonstrates their software product. Starting with a storyboard and a script, teams use Camtasia Studio to synthesize screen recordings, video, audio and other multimedia to produce their project videos.
And the TechSmith Screencast Award goes to…the CSE capstone team with the best project video. The award is sponsored by the creators of Camtasia Studio, TechSmith of Okemos, Michigan.
Team Plex Systems
HTML5-Based WYSIWYG Label Designer
Presented by Dean Craven of TechSmith
The CSE 498 experience represents the capstone of the educational career of each computer science major. An intense semester of teamwork produces impressive deliverables that include a formal project plan, formal presentations, software, documentation, user manuals, a video, and Design Day participation. The resulting sum, the Capstone Experience, is much greater than the parts.
The capstone team that delivers the best overall capstone experience is recognized with the Urban Science Sigma Award, which is sponsored by Urban Science of Detroit, Michigan.
Team GE Aviation
Mobile Avionics Weather
Presented by Greg Davidson and Matt Bejin of Urban Science
- Ryan Abbott – Loudpixel and Science Exchange, Berkley, Michigan
- Greg Davidson – Urban Science, Detroit, Michigan
- Mike Drazan – The Toro Company, Minneapolis, Minnesota
- Rich Enbody – Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan
- Adam Haas – Ford Motor Company, Gurgon, India & Dearborn, Michigan
- Louise Hemond-Wilson – IBM, Somers, New York
- Vandy Johnson – Consultant
- Kevin Ohl – Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan
- Jim Schumacher – Auto-Owners Insurance, Lansing, Michigan
- Marty Strickler – Rose Packing Company, Barrington, Illinois
- Karen Wrobel – Chrysler, Auburn Hills, Michigan